The art of Animal chiropractic is a manual treatment modality, which focuses on the biomechanics of the spine. It has effects on the entire central and peripheral nervous system of the body.
Look well to the spine for the cause of disease.Hippocrates
Veterinary or animal chiropractic treatment does never replace traditional veterinary medicine, but can provide additional treatment options for musculoskeletal and spinal problems. It can often eliminate the source of acute or chronic pain syndromes.
Animal Chiropractic Treatment is used for:
- Acute problems such as muscle tension or joint stiffness
- Chronic musculoskeletal problems
- Prophylactic treatment to maintain balance of body systems
- Maintenance of vitality and health in adult and senior animals
- Enhancing performance ability of animal athlets
- As a complementary treatment for chronic problems such as arthrosis, arthritis, spondylosis or tendon problems
- Young animals that enjoy regular treatment will grow up well balanced
- Show animals can get to and keep their peak condition for longer and perform better
Treatment – How does it work?
In animal chiropractic we look for joint mobility and restriction in movement. Identified restrictions will be corrected through an adjustment, that is a highly joint specific , low force, short lever thrust along the plane of the specific joint.
This proprioceptive stimulation triggers the release of endorphins and helps to relax surrounding tissue, tender spots and tight muscles.
In the spine, mobility of the small facet joints between each vertebra can be enhanced.
An adjustment is done manually directly on the affected vertebra (identified during the examination).
Only vertebrae that are restricted in their movement are adjusted.
Even in large animals, such as horses, that have very large and incredibly strong muscles along the spine, the vertebral facet joints are flexible and well to manipulate with minimal force.